Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Don't Call Me Ishmael by Michael Gerard Bauer

Title: Don't Call Me Ishmael
Author: 
Publisher: Scholastic
Edition - Language: Paperback - English.
Where did I get it: Balibooks

***

There's no easy way to put this, so I'll say it straight out. It's time I faced up to the truth. I'm fourteen years old and I have Ishmael Leseur's Syndrome. There is no cure. And there is no instant cure to not fitting in. But that won't stop Ishmael and his intrepid band of misfits from taking on bullies, bugs, babes, the Beatles, debating, and the great white whale in the toughest, the weirdest, the most embarrassingly awful...and the best year of their lives

Ishmael. Doesn't it sound like Ibrahim's son's name?

No, no, this book has nothing to do with any person of color from middle east who lives in Australia and struggles with his root. Nope. That was just my assumption when I decided to buy this book. See, don't judge a book by its title

It's just about an awkward high school boy with cool parents who gave him not-so-normal name.

Remember our nation reent hot news about someones named "Go to School" or "Batman bin Suparman" and other "funny" names? This is that someone if he is in 2000is high school. His school life will be...well, you can guess it yourself. I knew someone who had fun years in highs chool when it was his father's who have "cool" name. Children are cruel.

This book is your usual high school novel dealing with bulliying, but with the funniest and the most sarcastic narration!

And why did I give five stars?

Because the debate club!

Excrement has hit the fan

I was once in English debate club. I even stuttered when I spoke in Indonesian, just because I had a little more vocabs on my pocket than my friends didn't mean I could stand in front of public and spoke in English, oh God. And arguing! I believed, and still do, in "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion". Why debate club! I was out in mere days, lol. So the five stars rating is definitely personal.

It was fun to read how Ishmael and their awkward friends got their ways to win debate competition.

Razza, Bill and Kelly were the funny sidekicks I could hope for. Oh and Scobie, the genius and weird friend~ he came to main character's life, changed him and then went away like the girl in Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, welp. That's the downside, no deep characterization for other characters, especially Scobie. He was the agent of change! Why not much explanation?

All in all, this is the book I will read when I feel down, just to read Ishmael superfluous and sardonic narration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

sankyu ya (*≧▽≦)