Wednesday, 2 July 2014

The Top-Secret Diary of Celie Valentine

Title: The Top-Secret Diary of Celie Valentine
Author: Julie Sternberg
Publisher: Boyds Mills Press
Languange: English
Setting: USA
Rating: K
Genre: children, family
Pages: 152
Ten-year-old Celie has quite a few things on her mind -- fights with her sister Jo, secrets at school, an increasingly forgetful grandmother, and worst of all, a best friend who won't speak to her. How can a girl who hates change survive, when everything in her life is changing? By writing, of course! Celie's often comical and always heartfelt diary entries include notes, e-mails, homework assignments, and pages from her top-secret spy notebook.
I tend to read children book since I knew there were children books with non-Japanese-illustration-like existed and where to get them when I was in Junior High School. I don't know whether I like it because I read too many manga since I could read or just because I didn't have chance to read this kind of book when I was little. Haven't I told you I never read "Lima Sekawan"?
This children books are usually less complicated than manga I read anyway. When you are so stressed, reading children can bring smile to your face :)

A week of Celie's life was written in her diary, and she wrote a lot, it's quite specific, actually. From her funny lawyer Dad to her annoying sister to broken friendship and to the bigger problem: her grandma decreasing ability to remember things. It feels real and not contrived at all.

Celie's handwriting is too good for 10 year old as I remember my own handwriting and my lil's sister handwriting was not that good at that age, and please don't ask about my now 12 year old baby brother's handwriting. Well, Celie is girl anyway. Girly and neat handwriting indeed represents a diary of very creative 10 year old girl.

And what she wrote was very funny too. Though it's less complicating than The Diary of Wimpy Kid, it's still enjoyable and entertaining with its cute illustration. 3 stars for this book :)

I received a copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review from netgalley

1 comment:

  1. belum telat lhoo kalau baru mau mulai baca lima sekawan sekarang :))

    ReplyDelete

sankyu ya (*≧▽≦)